Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Playing in the snow

I have finally come to the decsion that I don't get the whole lighting thing and that I need to just stick with outside and natural light. I took a dozen pictures in the house with dd and the lighting is just horrible I can't figure it out for nothing. I was by a window, even opened the door to let more light in (brrrr cold). Brought out a lap everything turned out dark and grey looking. I just don't get indoor lighting. So after deleting like 50 images I took dd down to the park way to play in the snow. Here are a few that I have edited and would like some cc. I just signed up for a photography class at the ATC that starts in 2 weeks. So we will see if I can improve. Any CC on my conversions would be great. Thanks for looking and for all your CC.

SS 1/1000 f/10.0 ISO 400

SS 1/1600 F7.1 ISO 400

Same as first photo just diff conversion

SS 1/1600 F 9.0 ISO 400

1/100 F 5.6 ISO 100 Flash
I really wanted to do a self portrait and I am pretty proud how it turned out. I really like it. I should mention that the ones of my dd were taken in action mode so as to actually catch a decent picture. She moves to fast.




25 comments:

Farrah Jobling said...

I LOVE the pink coat!!! Great angles!

Kristi said...

That last photo is really fun! As far as your conversions... your images are a little underexposed.. If you boost the curves a bit before you convert them you'll probably get closer to the look you're going for! There's something to special about seeing kids playing in the snow...maybe I'll get brave and drive North!

Photo's by Shan said...

Way cute pics. I took Amanda's pictures last spring for her Senior pictures. Those are taken up at Beus pond. I did Hayley's engagement pictures up there also. (The bishops daughter) I got the butterfly wings off of escrappers. I just typed fairy wings in the search box. He has 3 different wings that you can download. I loved how they turned out on Amanda's picture. That one is my favorite. The others aren't quite as polished. Even her hair looks like it is laying between the wings. Amanda is a natural at posing. She loved having her picture taken.

Amy said...

I love the pink coat and the fourth one of her getting away, too cute!

Photo's by Shan said...

PS, I love that main pic of your baby, how did you get that coloring? Is there a name for that type of pic? I have so much to learn.

It's These Little Moments said...

I like your 2nd picture. I think it would be awesome in color. Nice job

Yvonne said...

I loved your self portrait!! Really creative!

Anonymous said...

Neat self portrait. Hang in there you will get this lighting down

Unknown said...

Very fun....Love the one of her legs....

me said...

How fun that you will be taking a course. I think you got some great advice. Keep up the good pratice

Liz said...

I really like the one of her legs, really creative composition.
I like the color conversion you did it looks really soft and dreamy. In the first one I would bump your curves a bit to see if you can lighten her face up just a bit, other than that great job!

Mom2Drew said...

Did you run a "glow" action on any of these? they almost appear a bit dreamy. on the color one in the snow, she's got a pink cast. I think a little brightening/lightening will really improve the overall look.

Katie said...

I like the 1st one best...great composition

Anonymous said...

I love her expression in the first photo. So adorable!
Cari
P.S. great self portrait!

Margaret said...

Love that second one. Great close-up! The pink coat is adorable!

Oh, and looking forward to meeting you at the Utah Peas get-together on the 26th!:) Sorry I confused everyone about the date!

amazing grace said...

like the pink coat and hood!
i'd like to seet the pics in bw...
what kind of conversion are you using?
:)
leah

Angela2932 said...

My favorites are your picture in the header, and the one that is a closeup of your daughter's face.

Stacey said...

SO cute! My favorite is the one of her running through the snow!

Tomboymama said...

I hear you on the indoor lighting. It has been so dreary here, mine never seem to look right either, but I think if we keep practicing, we are bound to get it sometime :-). Nice self-portrait,and it looks like she had fun playing.

Becky said...

On my monitor her face looks orange in that first one. I'm sure you could fix it in PS, I just don't know how :-) Have fun with your photography class!

Val said...

What a cutie! The first conversion has a yellowish cast on my monitor, and the second has a greenish cast. WTG on the self portrait

Bobbi said...

Cute pictures, you have got some great suggestions so far...I really like the perspective of your self-portrait.

Tera Fraley said...

too cute, love your angles. I like your self portrait too! Very dreamy.

April said...

those are cute pictures..i really like the one of her feet while she's running. great job!

Mandy said...

You already have gotten some great advise...my only addition would be the glow...not sure if you added that...but sometimes I find that it darkens my photos up a bit. Adorable photos. I also prefer to take photos outside too.