Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Off topic

On monday I went to a Utah Jazz game, I'm really not a big fan at all of basketball so I thought I would take my camera and see how I could do. Let me first off say that the only zoom lense I have is the 28-105mm sigma lens we were on the upper balcony about halfway to the top so I was really far away. Despite not liking the sport it was a lot of fun taking pictures. I wish that I were closer and had a good telephoto lens to shoot with but what do you think despite my limitations? All pics are sooc except for crop and sharpen and resized for web. Oh and I had to shoot at ISO 800 so I ran them through noiseware.







This is for Loren and Dana if you guys are looking. This is what the HDR plug-in does with a jpeg pic. It's pretty fun to play with. I know the picture isn't a great one but you can really see how it brings the sky to life. You should check it out here. http://www.mediachance.com/plugins/redynamix.html

Thanks for looking and all the feedback you guys give. I love it.

20 comments:

Val said...

Well, I'm the least sporty girl in the world. I think HGTV is a good sports channel. hehe these look nicely exposed to me though!

Anonymous said...

Hey cool shots - sports are hard to get right and you did a great job.

Anonymous said...

Those look pretty good to me!!! I love that last shot...
cari

Anonymous said...

those are great esp for being so far away>
tara

Mom2Drew said...

Whoa...that HDR thing is terrific! You did really good with your BB pictures, White balance looks right on.

Margaret said...

I think you did great with the Jazz shots. Basketball moves so fast. It's hard to capture the action, but you sure did a good job of it! So, they didn't hassle you about trying to bring a camera into the Energy Solutions Arena? I've wanted to bring mine, but didn't know if they would freak out at security about it.

Love the other shot, too.

Becky said...

Basketball is so hard to shoot; you did a good job with the lens and being so far away. I agree the white balance and exposure look good.

April said...

those are great jazz game pictures..and that mountain picture is awesome after you did that pp.

Amy said...

Those are some cool basketball shots! I especially love that first one and whatever you did to the last shot of the clouds is amazing!

Photo's by Shan said...

I love the basketball shots! Those are really good, it doesn't look like you are that far away. I really like that picture that you used HDR on. That is really cool!

Jess said...

These b-ball shots are GREAT! Way better than I ever can get! And the HDR image is GORGEOUS- I love what it does to the sky and the mountain! WOW!

Angela2932 said...

The HDR image is really nice; I haven't gotten around to exploring its possibilities yet. Is it basically a specific type of action? I know there're whole websites on it.

Bobbi said...

Thise are great action shots. I really,really love the HDR play you did too. I really need to download that.

Ginnie said...

Love those mountains... I miss them so much. really great job!

Tera Fraley said...

Great sports shots!! I love your last shot too, what a difference!!

Suzy said...

My hubby would be so jealous! He was glued to the TV watching the game lol! Then again that is what he does every Jazz game :).. I think it would be so much fun to go shoot a game! Oh and you did a great job!

amazing grace said...

i like your HDR example!!! it looks good!

Dana Anderson said...

Nice HDR. Unfortunately it is a windows only plug-in. Should be able recreate the effect with a curves layer from a RAW file. Might take an import through camera RAW adjusted for the sky and one shot adjusted for the foreground.

Check out the following picture, http://www.pbase.com/landerson/image/95107335, this was done with two actual shots. One exposed for foreground and one exposed for the background. Then combined in photo shop with a mask.

This shot, http://www.pbase.com/landerson/image/87680167,
was the same deal. The bright grass area behind the family was totally blown out. We shacked to images and painted the bright area back in with a soft edged brush on the mask layer.

NIce work on the basketball shots. You still need more shutter speed. I assume you cropped way in.

Danielle said...

Both of those pictures are beautiful but wow the barn is stunning. I love the look of it and colors. That's what I would like to be able to create. Everything is still so dreary here. On the basketball shots I got the fastest shutter speed I could. My camera doesn't handle noise well at 1600 and even noiseware can't fix it (takes away too much detail and looks fake). I had to crop way in. I just couldn't get close enough. Know I really want a telephoto lense, but then I want a macro, a super wide angle and a good portrait. Maybe a fisheye would be fun too. I'm not into sports but it sure was fun trying to take pictures at the game. I don't even know what the score was. Thanks for the feedback.

Dana said...

I love the Gabby pictures of course. I really like the action shots at the game and I would like to learn how to do the sky like you did.

My favorite picture of Gabby was the third one.